Friday, October 24, 2014

Week 2

Dear Family,

I would definitely like some goodies :) That sounds like it has been fun... ish, more times than not. I don't know if the Dear Elder site works better. So on P Day (which is a blessing given from heaven, oh goodness) helped my companion realize that the hermana likes him. Needless to say he doesn’t feel the same way which was a total relief. We had a long talk about how the first couple days we were very close and were thinking of the same ideas, but then we stopped when the hermana would pull him aside. Everything is good between us. Crazy story, ready? So we are playing futbol (yes you know what is coming) and my district leader Elder Davis is very good, he tricked me out and his foot smacked into my shin.... and now it is swollen. The picture that is below is one that i took today, 3 days after he hit me. Today while we were playing (cause thats just how I am) I nailed my companion in the middle of his legs when trying to take a shot.... he had to sit out for a bit. He got me back though by taking a shot on my leg, so I am not really walking on it too much, ya. Dont worry though, I am fine :) I also tore up my middle finger when trying to move a water jug that we put in our casa. The jug is on this plastic shelf and when I tried to pull the jug off, I tore up my finger on the plastic. So ya, I am the one that has been getting hurt the worst. Esta bien

One of my roommates Elder L (Did I tell you about him?) anyways, he was having a really rough time and was set on leaving because he didn't feel adequate enough for the language. We invited him and his companion Elder R to a testimony meeting that we had just for him, I cried like a baby. Later that day we find Elder R and he tells us that Elder Lis staying just for the CCM, not what we would hope but alright?? He told us that Elder Ls mom pretty much told him that he will not go home and to stick it out. Well, last night Elder L told us what really happened. He didn't feel like after our testimony meeting that he should stay (great thanks man, just balled my eyes out for nothing) and then he had to talk with his mom for an hour. She told him to make it at least through the CCM. He told us that the next day (yesterday) as he was reading emails, his P Day was yesterday) that everyone from Canada that he knew sent him a letter of support and that he still felt like he needed to go home. Then he read an email from his sister who is 9 years old (go get the tissues now) The email read this:

Dear Brother,
I cried when I saw that you wanted to come home. Please don’t let Satan win, you can't let Satan win.
Love... 

YA!!! crazy right? I’m almost in tears right now just typing it. Needless to say he is going to stay for his entire mission and will serve with all of his heart, 9 year old to save the day WOOT WOOT!!

Crazy fact about my district, you remember Elder Oliver?? (Clay?) Anyways, he and his companion were the last Zone leaders for my zone, AND his district number IS MY DISTRICT NUMBER!!! What are the odds??? I’m seriously freaked out. Everyone asked if I felt pressure knowing that he was the last zone leader and that everyone liked him. At first, I felt pressure. I felt pressure that if I told you guys this that you would expect me to become a district or zone leader here in the CCM, but then I just figured (with the help of some CCM devotionals) I don't care. I don't care if I am in a leadership position because I am stressed out enough. My district is full of some of the most supportive people that I know and they would never hold anything like that over me. AND my mission is not about becoming a zone or district leader. It is to focus on serving the people of Peru in their native language so that those that have been prepared by the hand of God can receive the true gospel in their lives. I started to read the L de M and I am already in Mosiah (I'm actually behind) but my goal is to finish it through in ingles before I leave, its gonna be pretty easy because there is a lot of extra time on our hands. Anyways, Mosiah 15 is insane with crazy good stuff! Idk what my favorite scripture so I will get back to you on that, if I remember. 

So cool things that have happened at CCM devotionals: 
We have had Elder Andersen come from the quoram of the 12 apostales. He was crazy good, but hilarious at the same time. I was so focused on his talk that I didn't write anything down... I know!!! he actually is that tall, he is maybe like 5''8 or something, made me feel good.
Then we have the directors of international MTCs around the world come around the CCM and give a devocional. They are really cool, one served his mision in Japan and He talks really fast, which only made his jokes hilarious. Again, so focused on his talk and his jokes that I only jotted down a coupld notas. Pero yo se it will come in handy later on. 

So we have this activity called progressing investigador. It is when someone who we don't know only talks in espanol. They later turn out to be our teachers in the afternoon, which we all saw coming. Pero it was really hard to understand what Hermana was saying. I am starting to be more confident in the language and I know that once I have been out in Peru for a little bit, I will be able to speak fluently-ish. I love singing in Spanish, we all sound the same. So maybe I might sing to you guys a Navidad o something. maybe. 

As we get closer to Dia de los muertos, fireworks are going off all the time around here. It seriously is so loud that it sounds like Armageddon has happened and has come to Mexico. The birds here are so funny. None of them ever really fly away, except for the green ones. There are beautiful black birds that will just hop out of the way and know that misionarios wont harm them. 
Oh and I gave talk last Sunday which was difficult and I was able to pass the sacrament which was cool.

Let me know if I left anything out;) 

Love, Elder Roberts


Sorry, I’m going to say a couple more things because I didn't take up my hour of writing. We played ultimate Frisbee and lets just say that teams want me to be on their team. 

I think the coolest thing about the language is that once you learn something, so does everyone else in your district. It helps a lot when we are trying to learn new phrases or words. I started to write down all 450 verbs that they give us in this little red book, I think that it will be pretty easy to memorize that many;) It’s really weird because the latinos here are really cool and want to communicate in ingles pero we need to talk to them in espanol at the same time. So it all works out during lunch or when we play cage soccer. My district is hilarious. In our classroom we have a white board that has 4 different slides, like in seminary, and on one of them we have our district mandamientos. One of them is thou shalt not speak mucho ingles on p day.... HAHAHAHAH. It is really funny because in our zone we only have 2 districts, which means that we are getting one next week and I will meet them on Thursday next week, so stay tuned for that. We all decided to say funny things about ourselves when we are all introduced to them. I am going to act Russian (holla) and I am going to just say weird things and mumble, oh the story will be wonderful. Its so funny to see all the newbies here. I feel like I just entered the CCM (oh wait I did) and then I see how little they actually know about espanol and it makes me feel so much better about myself. Its weird to think that after next week I will be halfway through my stay here. 

In the morning we have teachers that help us with language or with doctrine or coaching. One of the teachers is named Hermano Gallegos, and he is hilarious!!! My district says that when I am trying to teach them or I just talk en espanol, I talk like Hermano Gallegos. The other one is named Hermano Palma. I promise you he is only 5 feet tall. He is so funny cause when we are learning phrases, he will slowly shout them, and want us to repeat it in the same manner. Most of the time he just makes fun of Hermano Gallegos, which is really funny. The teachers that we have in the afternoon are also really funny. The one that we normally have has a lisp when he speaks in ingles pero when he speaks in espanol he is crazy vast and very articulate. Our other teacher is the Hermana. (the one he mentioned above)

One of my shirts has a stain on it. We dry cleaned it and it is still visible, but not too bad, just curious if there is anything else that we can do for it. The tie that I was wearing when I stained it, well, lets just say that the bottom of the tie doesn't look too nice, its the blue and white striped one that I took some of my mission pictures in. 

Charlie: Most people want the testimony tie that you gave me. Trust me, I won't trade it... here.
Bryant: Almost everyone wants your tie and even Elder Andersen said that the tie looked nice... I might trade it;)

I am really grateful for a lot of things this week. I am grateful that my companion doesn't make excuses for me because I may need to use the restroom or because of my leg. I am grateful for the food, because I am finally starting to eat most of it and nothing bad will happen... I just cant eat the fish, it is inedible. We have pizza night every martes and it is really good porque the slices are ginormous!! like literally two pieces in one! so I fold and I dip it in... you guessed it, nothing! but my companion and Elder Davis like to dip it in ranch, what a bunch of weridos;) 

Remember when I said that the weeks here are like Harry Potter years? that’s because it feels like so long, and yet the weeks go by so fast that it feels like we just finished another book. Too bad that the 7th book will be for 2 days at max, such a shame. I felt pretty awesome because when our zone was discussing what funny things we were going to do to the next district, one of our zone leaders mentioned acting retarded. Oh man did I respectfully put him in his place, needless to say nobody has said that word or handicapped since then and now the zone leader will be act like pocket himno man (he will have himnos everywhere on him). When the new district comes, my district will act like it is our first week here as well and act like we don't know espanol cuando they come in, it will be very humorous.

Are friends looking at the blog/ letters at all? I really want to know how they are doing, but if there isn't a way for you guys to get in touch with them, then esta bien, Ok, I think my time is up


Love ya, Elder Roberts

 They wrapped him up like a cocoon to prevent any more injuries

His swollen leg....UGH...boys!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment