Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Week 36

Dear lovely family of mine,

I did get the Halloween package from you and the letter from Grampy and Grammy, they were wonderful. I actually might run through the candy before Halloween hahaha. 
To answer questions: Elder A will be leaving me tomorrow early in the morning. We have the party for him tonight, but the family didn't do what we asked!! I'll talk about that later in the letter.

This week was ridiculously crazy! So much experiences with having a companion leave. 
So we will go by day by day. Monday was pretty dull, as it most of the time is. I got a haircut for 10$ and it's not too shabby, I just forgot to call the guy that offers free haircuts too late, I'll learn next time. We went shopping and I have now figured out that I go through about 2 boxes of cereal a week and about 1 1/2 gallons of milk, crazy right? I'm buying the seasonings this week for the chicken, so we'll see how that turns out. We played basketball with the Zone Leaders, Elder J and Elder G, which was fun. Elder J played basketball for Herriman and he is super tall, so basically whoever was on his team won. Elder G is alright at basketball, he just thinks I foul... I know right? Me? No, never.... ;) at the end of Pday Elder A was craving some fried chicken cause, well, he's from Georgia, so we had KFC and that is always a waste of money, so that was ridiculous. We had some people ask us what we do as missionaries (we get that a lot) and as we are talking with them they will say something like "oh I thought it was like a nerd convention".... Fo real? Nerd convention that lasts forever lady! 

Tuesday was pretty interesting. Some Elders in our district had a training that hey had to be at early in the morning so we biked to their apartment in our 'normal' clothes at like 7 am... It was weird. I felt so exposed in my shorts and running shoes, it didn't feel right at all. It's starting to get cool here in the mornings, I might buy a cool sweater or something, who knows. I cannot eat spicy food, not even flaming hot Cheetos, they made my stomach hurt soooo bad it wasn't even funny. We had a lesson with R G again, and she isn't understanding what we are trying to teach her. We did, however, find 2 new investigators that are super nice! They were on our list of potential investigators and we had tried them before, but couldn't find them. The lesson was super good! They asked us a lot about Mormonism and what we believe, it's super similar to what they believe so they like us. They understood that if they want to know that our church is true, that they have to read the Book of Mormon. We have a lesson set up with them on Tuesday, so we will see if we can find them again! We ate dinner with the E family and it was super funny! The pictures of Elder A is at their house. Obispo E gave us some chilies if we wanted to eat them, and that's the big red thing on the plate, Elder A couldn't even finish the chili, so I didn't even want to try it. 

Wednesday I went on exchanges with one of my Zone Leaders Elder G in my area. We didn't have any set lessons for that day so we just visited a bunch of potentials all day long. We also stopped by Yogurtland, so that's that picture. It was a pretty interesting day, there are a lot of things that I need to work on as a missionary, but I'll slowly improve. 

Thursday was a long day Elder A had his interview with President Weidman so I was in my area with another missionary, Elder B. We went street contacting for a little bit before the inspectors came. We barely received their call that they were co I got. Not that our apartment is dirty or anything, but we ran back to the apartment to clean. It wasn't where I wanted it when they came knocking at our door and walked in. The couple that inspected our apartment where super lenient, they gave us a 99/100 on the apartment! What? I'm a little surprised, but not complaining here. 

Friday was even weirder. Elder A and W (B's companion) had their departing temple day so again, we were in my area for the day. District meeting was a little weird because our district leader went home on Tuesday, his name was Elder C, a Chinese Elder. One of the newer missionaries was district leader in the fact that he gave the training. It was actually a fun training, he made this really cool template on the iPads and it was pretty fun.

I got the package from you and the letter from Grammy and Grampy. Elder B on the other hand got like 4 packages that were so huge! It was ridiculous! We decided to go to the jungle to visit some potentials, but none of them were there. We talked to this lady, who is a baptist, and she was really weird. She had a European accent, so I could barely understand her. We asked her about the Book of Mormon and modern day prophets, she went nuts. She told us that there are only 5 ministries in Christ's church (Ephesians 4:4) and that there are multiple people who can receive revelation for the world... Lady that's called craziness and chaos, which does not come from God. She was really weird, needless to say. We taught W S again, to see if we were going to continue to teach him. During the lesson we went over the Restoration and the Book of Mormon. The spirit was super strong in the lesson. At the end of the lesson Elder B turned to me and said "it's sad that he felt the spirit testify to him, but that he won't change" it actually really drained both of us to hear that he doesn't want to change. We switched back and headed down to the Jungle again (3 times in 1 day) to stop by the F family. It was really sad. They had a loss in the family so it was a sad moment. We were really sad because we didn't know if we wanted to make sure that they were going to do temple baptisms on Saturday. 

Saturday rolls around and we were worried about the F family. We decided to text them and a miracle happened! The family member that passed away is alive! They were so happy. Elder A and I decided to kneel down and pray to know if we should invite them to go do temple baptisms that day. Of course the answer was yes so we invited them. Everything was going good. We were on our way riding our bikes when we get a call from the F saying that they can't go. We talked to them for about 40 minutes that they should go, but that they didn't have to if they didn't want to. They decided not to go. We were super mad and disappointed in ourselves. We had dinner with a less active family that are pretty cool. They are going to be super solid later on. Yesterday was pretty intense. We had Stake Conference, and Elder Z was there. It was a very cool and spiritual stake conference, I took a bunch of notes. I saw Grant Aman there, he is someone I went to school with and he is attending USC right now, it was really weird. The departing fireside was pretty cool. It was cool to see how everything worked with the missionaries that are leaving.

I saved this part for last. For this transfer I am...... Staying! Yay, knew that. Figured that one. But here's the catch........ I am TRAINING!!! I am getting a GREENIE tomorrow! We will see how this goes!
Charlie, Dad, any advice?

That's it for this week! (Unless I forget something)

Les amo mucho
Elder Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment