Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Week 38

Querido familia, 

This week was rough.

Monday we played basketball and emailed at the church. I was a little off on 'my game' in basketball, but I blocked my companion twice, so that felt good. We couldn't find a Yogurtland, so instead we went to this place called Yo Way, which is like the ghetto version of Yogurtland, less choices, but basically the same. It started to rain on Monday, which was not fun to bike in. We came back to the apartment and got our coats so that we wouldn't get out ties and stuff soaked. By the time we left the apartment, the rain stopped. Ugh! Serious? Why is it whenever I put on my matrix jacket that the rain stops? Anywho, we had a lesson with the F Family, the RC family that is trying to go to the temple to do baptisms for the dead on the 14th of November. Hermana F gave us pasole, which is like a soup with meat, cooked corn stuff, veggies, you also eat tostadas with pasole. It was good, not like "wow amazing!" But good. Have you been able to try mole yet? I bet you could find a recipe, cause dang that stuff is good. 
Tuesday was good. We had a lesson with A, W and We (part of the A family) and we taught the Plan of Salvation. It was funny because Elder G doesn't know gospel Spanish at all, so he would just turn and gesture to me when he forgot a word, or wanted me to talk. It was still a good lesson. A always asks ridiculous questions that never have anything to do with what we're are talking about. 
Since it is darker now at night, we were given permission to go and buy the needed lights to put on our bikes to fit the requirements that the mission has. Basically I just bought some tape and ankle reflectors, cause my bike is good. I am going to buy a sweater though cause it gets a little chilly at night while biking. I know, I sound like a wimp, it gets down to maybe 65 degrees and I need a sweater... Go ahead, call me a pansy, I deserve it. 
We talked to two less active members who are sisters. One is really shy and doesn't like to be involved at all, and the other is pretty chill, H and S are their names. We ate with the E family which is always so good. Haha they are the ones that leave us alone when we eat, so weird. It's even more awkward cause the humor of my companion is different than mine, so that makes that time even more awkward. We finally had a lesson with a recent convert, anywho, it was an interesting lesson because turns out he can't even read, and he doesn't like his fellowshipper.... Ugh. 
On Wednesday Elder Ga (my DL) came to my area to go on exchanges. He was "born" in this area and the family that we eat with on Wednesdays is his favorite family, ever. (R Family) Elder Ga and I have similar humor and so the exchange was a nice relief. We stopped by N, our Seventh-Day Adventist friend. We asked him if he had some time, which he said no. It was funny cause we ended up talking to him on his doorway for 40 minutes and had a prayer at the end of it. It is really hard to teach N because basically all he believes is that the Sabbath Day is on Saturday, not Sunday. What we are trying to do with him is have him read the Book of Mormon and have the Book do the talking. We went to visit potentials for days in the Jungle, which was fun. We were locked outside of an apartment building and Elder Ga used his strap on his bag to pull the doorknob on the other side, too bad it was for nothing cause nobody answered their doors. We visited H and S again and started to read 'the cool stories' in the Book of Mormon, starting with Ammon, I mean, why not. So we are slowly reading Alma 17-19 with them. We then biked down to the boonies #timbuktuidaho to go eat with the R family. They love Elder Ga, they made so much food it was ridiculous. I feel that I always just want to eat so much food, but then I never have room for more. They gave us this Mexican creme Popsicle that is super good called.. Idk, but I will ask. It was super cold in the bike rides, I am totally going to buy a sweater. It was a little startling when I got a message from President Wiedman asking if I could meet with him on Thursday after the temple session. 
Thursday was different. It was the day that we were able to go to the temple to do a session inside. It was beautiful. I loved it, and I definitely loved the timing. I don't think the opportunity could have been during a tougher time in my mission. During the session, I was a little preoccupied in thinking about what President Weidman would want to talk to me about, I figured that possibly something happened to my family, so I was worried. 
This past week a dear cousin of mine passed away. His passing was a complete blindside to me, and I was speechless when my mission president told me. It made me quite sad to note the circumstances through which he passed away. However, my mission president has helped me realize a very crucial fact. The Atonement of Christ is everything. It is what allows God to bring all of his children back into his presence. No matter what the case may be, our perfect and loving Heavenly Father does everything he can to help bring even one soul back to him. Because he is just, he notes the circumstances in which someone lived, may have committed a sin, or fell away from living the commandments. He notes the thoughts and conditions of the mind and the pure desires and intents of our hearts. God is also loving. He has provided a way for all of those who have passed away and may not have fully accepted the Gospel or never had the opportunity to hear and accept it. This opportunity occurs after this life in a place we know as the Spirit World. We know Christ preached the gospel there after he died, and the gospel continues to be taught there. Here is where all of our dear family members are. We feel their love for us in our lives. We celebrate a birth of one of God's children with joy and happiness just as we commemorate and honor their passing with sorrow and tears. In all the infinite wisdom and power that our Heavenly Father has, he has revealed His Plan through his called servant and prophet Joseph Smith, through whom the proper authority and power of God, called the Priesthood, was restored. With the power and authority of God on the earth, we can be sealed to our families for time and all eternity. What a wonderful miracle is this!!! To have the hope and knowledge that the relationships and tender moments we once shared with our most beloved family members can continue to blossom after this life. I know that families can be together forever. Although now the sting of sorrow has touched all of us, The Atonement can help relieve the pain and help us feel the "song of redeeming love" (Alma 5:26). I know that the Plan of Salvation is perfect. It is God's plan. I know that one day I will see my cousin again. Through fully accepting the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I know one day that I will see all of my family and friends in the presence of God after this life.
 Friday was alright. We had Zone Training Meeting (ZTM) and one of the ZLs is super depressing when he talks. It is not motivating whatsoever, it's super saddening. We took a zone picture and I'll send that to you. My comp is right by me. Afterwards we decided to go and see R because we haven't seen her for a while. On the way there this guy stopped us and asked us what we believe in. We gave him the 'low down' but he wasn't 'chill wid dat'. Apparently he is a baptist minister, but he doesn't 'minister' same with his dad. He was one of those super fit old guys and he kept pacing back and forth while trying to tell us what to believe. He got super close to my face though, I felt like telling him 'sir, my bubble' but no, he just got super close to my face while me and Elder G listened. At the very end he told us 'the message that God told him to give to us' was that we need to 'read the scriptures'. We told him that the Book of Mormon is scripture and that we study the scriptures every morning for 3 hours, then go talk to people about the scriptures. He didn't like that. He said 'Listen young man, I'm not telling you what you do, I'm telling you what to do.' Well after that we just walked away and he was yelling at us, just another day in the mission. We actually ended up finding R's drunk dad and her uncle. We taught them the plan of salvation because their brother just passed away. We invited them to come to church, but they didn't come. We ate with the S family, and they are really funny. The sons are super shy at first, but then they are just a bunch of goof balls. We had a lesson with A, one of our baptismal dates. Afterwards we asked her if she was excited for her baptism on the 29th of November, then her mom told us the sad news. She said that they are going on vacation that weekend and that we will need to push the baptism back 1 week. I just turned to to the mom and said "we can move it up a week!" So the baptism for and A and J is now the 22 of November!! They are both super excited for it! 
Saturday I was losing my mind. Elder G basically broke the bike that he is borrowing and complaining the whole time that the bike is defective. Of course it is, you broke it. We had coordination finally with the ward mission leader, he brought pizza!! It was really weird cause we didn't even talk about our investigators. We basically wrote down their names and then gave him the paper and left. We went to go visit our friend N again. He said he read and marked some notes in the Book of Mormon, but he couldn't find it, so we read from our copy. Going into the lesson, I just wanted to listen. I have a really bad habit of trying to tell people something, without letting them understand it for themselves. I tried really hard to listen, and I do think that it helped the lesson. He is slowly changing. We were bold and told him very simply: If you pray about the Book of Mormon and read with the desire to know that it is true, then you will receive an answer that it is the word of God, just like the Bible is. If you know this, then the LDS or Mormon church is the only true and living church of God on the earth. We testified of how we know the Book of Mormon is true and how we have seen it change lives. 
Sunday!! Finally church came! We had the whole A/N/E family come, that's 5 investigators at church!! J walked up to Elder G and told him that she wants him to baptize her and A told me that she wants me to be baptize her... SWEET! Already thinking ahead, way to go girls. Elder Ga overheard and then he joke back at me "where do I get one that just asks me to baptize them??" It was funny. We ate with B M and I tried to get a recipe out of her, but mom, she was going on and on and on about what to put into freaking meatballs. I promise I will get some recipes for you!! We then had a lesson about the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the A gang. It was a really good lesson. 

Les quiero muchísima y espero por 6 más días de viernes para hablar con vos!
Qué tenga feliz día y semana!
Elder Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment