Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Week 79 - TRANSFER

August 22, 2016

Transfer news:
I am leaving
Elder D is staying
My new area is in HP called HP2
My new companion is Elder H (I'll spell it right next week for sure) and I am his trainer.
I am in a CAR area, but I hear that the apartment has roaches... So hopefully all goes well.

To answer questions: 
E hasn't come to church for a while
C finished the BOM and we committed him to do this 4 month reading which is something we did as a mission last year and he will finish before Christmas if he reads about 2 chapters a day.
We haven't had any baptismal dates really cause they all keep falling, but others are baptizing so that's good.
I think my favorite cook is the D L family cause they make white food, that or they buy KFC hahaha, oh how I have missed white food so much.
This last week I actually finished reading the New Testament as a missionary. So now I can say that as a missionary I have read it ALL! I also used the institute manual on gospel library to help me understand revelations a little better. So now I have new goals with the Book of Mormon and preach my gospel for the last 4th of my mission. It's gonna be good cause I have a newbie (I am finishing training, not greenie training) so it'll be nice. Elder H is my 3rd stepson with Elder L (who is a ZL now for 2 transfers... Holy cow) and Elder S. 

Korea Town Episode III (Blasted Heat) Scene 6

Monday we had a little bit of excitement at the beginning of the day. We found out that the Wilshere elders were going to the mission office to go and do a driving test so that Elder S could be certified to drive in the mission. Well, my companion talked to Sister Haynie about college and she told him to get in touch with Sister E, who is basically in charge of helping missionaries get that sort of thing taken care of. So they were nice enough to take us to the mission office and Elder P and I just emailed, talked with other elders, I moved some pictures onto my USB.. Stuff like that. Elder D got his college stuff taken care of, but the driving test took super long. Now before, when I got my driving test done, it was with Elder Hunsaker Sr. , and we just basically drove around the block and parallel parked, and that was it. But now that Elder Roe (another senior missionary) has replaced Elder Hunsaker sr. , the driving test is super long compared to before. We were waiting at the family history library for about 2 hours... It was ridiculous. Afterwards we decided to go and make the shirts. The idea came from Elder DS and Elder P and we took a video about a week ago that has us walking in a "cool" way, and then we just went through the video to look at a shot that we wanted as the picture. So we went to the mall back in one of my old areas to this random kiosk and the guy makes shirts! He is from the Middle East and his accent was super cool. Elder P and I were talking to him and he was asking us a lot of questions about the US, the differences from where we are from, missionary work... It was pretty cool. The shirts were made and Elder S, P, and I all got shirts (Elder D didn't want to pay for his shirt cause it was too expensive) but I think that the shirts are sick! We ended pday going visit the DL family and they fed us, which was really nice. I really hope that the de Leon family realize just how important the message of the gospel is for their lives and for their happiness because they always are saying things about how amazing the gospel is and how important God is in their lives, but then they never DO anything about it! I feel a come to Jesus moment coming up soon...

Tuesday I had my 3rd quarter training at one of the worst times in the day, the early afternoon. We borrowed the zone leaders car and traffic was so horrible that we actually ended up arriving 7 minutes late to the training. The training was good. It is super sad because the "group" that you go home with are the elders that are in your trainings (sisters are in different trainings so you never know). It is sad because the ONLY other elder that has been in the trainings is Elder H, a Chinese elder. Because he is Chinese, all the Chinese elders go home about a week early than transfers, because that is when they come in... So I guess I am a loner elder. "I came into this world (the mission) by myself, and I will leave it in the same way". The training was good and there were a lot of good notes that I wrote down. We then got back to our apartment in just enough time to switch out of our suits and then bike to the church to eat dinner (a member of the are brought the dinner there because she lives outside of our area). It was a good meal, but I tell you, these members just think that I can eat a horse or something, cause it is a LOT of food. We ate the dinner at the church and then had to bike back to our area in enough time to go and see the A family and read with them at night.

Wednesday we were contacting and Elder D asked the ZLs if he could go and get some new shoes at Payless because his sister put money on his card (his shoes were REALLY bad). So we went in to buy him shoes and he is a much better shoe shopper than I am, he got down to 2 different pair of shoes and then picked his super fast, he decided to go with a more classy style than what he had had before. On the way to the checkout the lady told us to look at the socks because they were 50% off, well, then socks were legit. I will send you a pic of the socks that we got. We contacted back to the apartment so Elder D could switch his shoes that were really bad and that way we could also get our bikes to go to dinner at Hermana G's house. We ate there and it was really interesting what happened during the lesson. We invited her to take her visiting teaching families to the VC (she is the 1st counselor in the RS FYI) and she all of a sudden got super depressed. She told us that the families that she is assigned to go and visit are LA and that she doesn't feel like they would ever want to come back to church. We bore our testimonies of the importance of visiting teaching and asked her when was the last time that she visited them... Let's just say that home and visiting teaching are established in the church for a reason, so that all members can be watched over a fed spiritually. We went to go and read in the Book of Mormon with the DL family (investigators) and they liked it. We read a couple chapters with them super quick and then had to leave to go to the B home to watch the movie The Prophet of The Restoration. We watched the movie and it was going to go over 9:00, which is fine for us missionaries just because it had the ending part left and we could still be home on time. What we didn't know though is that J (the son with special needs) has a lock on his computer that it shuts down at 9:00 so that way he doesn't spend too much time on the computer. Well this happened during the movie, right at the climax of the martyrdom of Joseph Smith, so unfortunately we were unable to see the coolest part (and avoid the tears that come when the play the hymn Praise to the Man). At the end M B was helping J say the prayer and it was such a funny moment when (I know this is bad because it was during the prayer) but Juan forgot what he wanted to say at one point and blurted out "Bubbling Boilers!!" (Like from Thomas and Friends) Hahaha oh it was soooo funny! At the end of the prayer, Juan was all smiling so that was nice to see.

Thursday we had district meeting and so we had some alright plans for the day. Well we get this text from the ZLs that they want to come on exchanges with us (we thought it was going to be on Friday so we had planned a lot of fun stuff for Friday) but hey, when they say exchanges, you do exchanges. So we went to district meeting and I am such an awful person because of sass invests and sarcasm. I have been trying really hard lately to not be so sarcastic, but some others missionaries I think have acquired the sarcasm that I am trying to lose. The district meeting had some interesting moments we'll just say. Afterwards we went back to the apartment to wait for the zone leaders to come and start the exchange. Elder N is super cool, and I have always wanted to serve around him, just cause of how cool he is. He is from Colorado, pretty close to GJ. We had a lot of fun on the exchange, that's for sure. We contacted along the street and it was really interesting because Elder N is an English elder... Meaning that he doesn't understand anything of what is going on in a street convo... But that's ok. We pick up dinner from Hermana Z and she gave us: rice, chicken, tortillas, and some guacamole which was really nice. We biked some more to try and go and visit some other people, but they weren't home which was sad. We then went to go and visit the A family and read with them, and Elder N actually read in Spanish! It was awful, but he did it:) I then told him that we were going to go try and visit E, but that the apartment complex would probably be locked so we would need to do some ninja stuff to get into the apartment. We locked up our bikes, and the opportunity came to get into the apartment and bam, we got in. It TOTALLY paid off cause E was home and we were able to sit down and talk with her for a little bit. We got back to the apartment and after planning we just talked and talked and talked, it was cool and Elder N is a cool guy.

Friday morning Elder N and I went to Yogurtland because there is a new flavor out, so we contacted along the way. There was this lady that walked across the intersection to be in front of us and she started to talk with us. She explained that she was from SLC and that she had been married in the temple, but based on how she looked and who she was with, I don't think the whole covenant - keeping mindset is still going on. She quickly said bye and it was super awkward because you just think about all the joy that comes from the gospel, especially from the blessings of the temple, and to look at how she is living her life right now... Wow. We got back to the apartment and talked some more before our companions came to switch. We had weekly planning, and then decided to head out for the day. We had a good day planned, but unfortunately the investigators weren't home, and the member didn't come out with us. The day ended pretty good visiting with the D L family. I really like them and they wrote in my journal because I brought it in case that I was leaving, so they signed it and that was nice. When we finished they told us that they could give us a ride back to our apartment, but as S shut the door, he realized that he forgot the car keys, and accidentally locked the apartment keys in the apartment, so we were locked out with no way of getting in. They got us an Uber driver, which I guess is cool, but before the guy came, we tried to basically go to the back part of the apartment and break into their house by getting through a window, which didn't happen, but it was still pretty funny. 

Saturday was a crazy busy day. We started the day early at 10 for a ward picnic. We biked to the B home and locked up our bikes there, they then gave us a ride to the picnic. NOBODY was there at 10 in the morning, because the picnic part didn't start until 12... We didn't know that. Well it was still fun to be outdoors and to throw around a football with a bunch of Latinos haha, so that was cool. Elder D was invited back to PV (the farthest place south of the mission) to go back and baptize an investigator/now convert. So we borrowed the ZLs car and started on the long hour - 1 1/2 hour drive down to the chapel in PV. It was a wedding and a baptism! I'll give y'all the run down. Basically the guy (J) was the one that started the whole thing. He started to go to church and was slowly changing bad habits relating to the word of wisdom. His mom started to see the changes in him and decided to go to church and listen to the missionaries as well. Then his girlfriend started to do the same. Well, J got married to his girlfriend who is now his wife, and his mom and J were baptized! The wife doesn't feel ready yet, but hey, after Juan gets the priesthood HE could baptize her:) it was super cool because some members STILL remembered me, it was that area I was only there for 5 days and they still remember me... Holy smokes. It was fun. We then drove all the way back to give the ZLs their car back and because they had their pday partially on Saturday (they are ZLs and they on Monday have to be with the newbie missionaries) they were doing some pday stuff before we got back to them. We got home and changed to go out and actually work in area. At night we were able to visit with E again and she promised to come to church... But she didn't, sadly.

Sunday was a pretty interesting day. We didn't have the meeting with the bishop because he was out of town so we were able to take a good while getting ready in the morning for church. Church started and nobody was there. It was really sad.  Luckily Hermano B showed up and so did the D L (investigator).  Family.... All 4 of them! It was so weird to see them there because they haven't EVER come since I have been in the ward. It was also nice to see that a LA invited her husband who is not a member to church and he was really nice. A sister missionary in the ward (Hermana C) is finishing her mission so ALL the members were giving her a farewell basically.  After church there was the baptism of E and it was really good. Hermano B stayed for that so we were also able to attend. It was good and Hermano B really liked it, so hopefully sometime soon he will get baptized. After church we went to go and visit with the P family, then the Bs, then the A family. All the lessons were good, and I took pictures with most of them. The Bs gave me a tie! I actually really liked the lesson with Hermano B because there was this moment when we told him that he can pray to God to know when he needs to be baptized, because we felt like he is waiting for this miraculous event to happen to help him know that he needs to get baptized. After we told him that he could pray to know about baptism, there was a moment when he really thought about it, so that was cool.

Hope y'all have a good week

Love,
Elder Roberts



No comments:

Post a Comment