Questions:
The reason why now the first Tuesday of each month is our pday
because there are a lot of holidays that fall on Mondays, and there are some
places here in LA that are fun to go and visit, and all of them are closed on Mondays,
or they are free admission on Tuesdays. So it's the Haynie's way of changing
things up a bit. I don't know if any of the places here in LA interest me right
now as a missionary because it just feels a little weird. Because of the iPad's
we update and download all the new additions to the church apps, so ya, halfway
through this week I found out that my ward is the Placid Rose ward and I
about died of a heart attack! Yikes y'all!
Ok, let me explain something:
I am called to serve people in Spanish, BUT mission presidents can
assign you to a non- Spanish area. I am in an ENGLISH area right now. So we
teach English people. We also cover a Tongan ward so that means anyone who is
Tongan, or married to a Tongan we go and baptize;) just cause that's how it
works in the Tongan ward.
El Segundo / W3 (week 3)
Tuesday was our pday, which was really weird. I have been getting
a lot of flea bites, or bug bites, and I have no idea why. We have been trying
to figure out what type of bug it is that is biting me, cause I have about over
30 bug bites just on my legs, but we aren't sure that they are fleas. We
thought that it might be flea bites because there was a stray dog around our
apartment that was loose for a long time so we don't know if that have anything
to do with it. We found out that a lot of our neighbors actually wanted to try
to catch the dog because some people think that it was cute or something:) it
almost looks like the shaggy dog so I think maybe that has something to do with
it. We had to do a lot of chores with cleaning and getting ready for zone
conference this week. We had to dry clean our suits (the dry cleaner sucked,
didn't even do a good job and ruined a tie ugh...) anywho, while we were doing
our laundry we accidentally locked our keys inside the church, because the
laundromat is right by the church so we went there to chill while the laundry
was going. So we had to play some phone tag with the members to see who had the
keys to the church because our keys to the car and to the church were locked
inside (we saw them on the floor). We went to Ross to get some socks for Elder
O because his socks have a bunch of holes in them (mine don't, I'm pretty
sure they are going to endure to the end of my mission). We then went to go to
the church to go play some ball with some elders and it was not a good day for
me. I tried to block my companion in ultimate and I tried to spin around him,
but he is a lot bigger than I can spin around someone so I feel on my butt, and
it hurt for about 3-4 days so that hurt. We then had dinner at a buffet from
the Tongans (here we go) and it was just crazy how everything happened. Tongans
are not the most obedient members when it comes to missionary work. It was
really sad because they made an awkward situation with my companion involving a
member skyeping my companions family and because my comps family doesn't know
rules to the WHB rules, they were just talking to him like it was nothing. We
talked about it afterward and he told me how awkward it was and how it was so
funny and ironic how his parents were telling him to be obedient while they
were skyeping... What can you do. We then ended the night off with a lesson
with W. W has a lot of problems. Because of some stuff that has happened
in his life and choices that he has made, he, as of right now, cannot be
baptized until 2019 or something like that. He has WOW problems but he really
wants to change. It was a nerve wracking visit because the next day he was told
that he was going into a program that would help him get over the WOW problem,
but he would stay there and that he couldn't see his family or anything like
that. His wife, K, is a strong member. They have a little daughter who is
about 8 months old and one that's on the way. We talked about the repentance
process and trusting in the Lord and asked W to say the closing prayer for
us. His prayer was so powerful and sweet, it was childlike. The whole family
was in tears and afterwards W just left because he didn't want to be seen
crying in front of all of us. So that was good I guess haha.
Wednesday started out crazy. We were cleaning the apartment and
takin go it the trash when we saw our neighbors all around this hole to their
house. Back story: our apartment building and our neighbors all have a mascot,
it's this run away dog that looks like the shaggy dog (the one that has
probably been giving me the fleas). So everyone has been wanting to catch it so
that way it can get some medical attention and some people actually want to
adopt it. We were taking out the garbage when we saw them putting a baby guard
(the wall thing) around the hole and directly out of the hole would be a cage
and to the side was a dog kennel. There was about 6 people there. They asked us
if we had anything flat and heavy that they could use to help catch the dog, so
we brought out 3 dry erase boards to help them. This guy came, I think it was a
neighborhood friend who wanted to help catch the dog. And he went underneath
the house, because that's where the hole went to, to get the dog out. Well the
dog came out and it went straight into the cage like nothing (I got it on my
camera) and so then the guy was trying to put a rope around its neck, like a
leash, but what was gross was that the dog was literally getting the crap scared
out of him. The dude tried moving the dog from the cage to the kennel, but it
didn't work and the dog was jerking like a crocodile and biting the rope that
was around his neck, I'm surprised that the dude didn't get bit. Well they
eventually got the dog in the kennel and everyone was happy... Just a matter of
time till we see if it really was what gave me fleas. I went on an exchange
with my DL Elder P. He is from Kentucky and this is his last transfer. He
is an English elder also covering a Tongan ward (the C2 ward) and an English
ward. It was pretty fun because he is covering my first area in the mission,
just in English. I saw sister J, the first lady I ever ate with on the
mission and the people that we skyped with my first Mother's Day on the
mission, and at first she didn't recognize me, but when she did she was pretty
happy. I figured that would probably happen just because I wasn't in that area
too long. It was really fun to go on the exchange, even though it was a really
rough day of just walking and talking to people on the street. It was really
rude to hear a white old man on a bike say a very crude word to Elder P, I
about wanted to exercise the doctrine of the laying on of hands with that man
and make him sing "Jesus said love everyone"... Ugh. We ate at a
Chinese restaurant that a member paid for us. The only problem with the food
was that it did not settle too well with me. We went on splits with a member in
the English ward named Brother R. He wanted to go and visit this less active
friend and home teaching person of his named R. He said that he was going
to be "rough" with him and so we figured it was a good cop/bad cop
type thing. We decided to show a Mormon message about our potential here on
earth and it went really good. Brother R was, in my opinion, fulfilling in
every sense of the word, being bold. He grew up with R and now he is his
home teacher and so he ripped him pretty good, not too hard though. R was
touched that we came over to see him and it just showed to me how important
home teaching really is. Brother R at one point said "I want to see you
at church, it helps me, and I love seeing you there pal. Not only did I come to
see you because your my home teaching assignment, but your mine. You are my
assignment. You are my friend and I want to see you back". It was just a
huge moment of love from a friend, not mincing words, but being bold with love.
We got a call at the end of the night from our companions who told me that with
the lesson that they had with R, he told them that he would love to go and
see the VC tomorrow. When they asked him about getting baptized and how he felt
he said "I'm ready".... (This is the part when a missionary faints
because of exceeding joy swelling in the heart). They also talked about getting
the marriage license because he needs to be civilly wed to be baptized, and he
said yes to that too!!!!! Wooooo!!!
Thursday was a crazy day. We switched back from exchanges and we
were originally planning to go to the VC with R. We were going to visit a
random Irish lady as well. It started out though going to Home Depot and
getting flea repellant stuff because we think that it was fleas that were
biting me. Well the Irish lady had a lot of questions and I think we answered
them pretty well. We then went to go see R because I guess there were some
family stuff that was going on so they didn't want to go to the VC. We ended up
teaching a good lesson to R and planned to go this upcoming week to the VC
instead. We talked about temples and the WOW, it was a pretty scattered lesson,
but it all went rather smooth, so that was good. We had a member buy us in n
out and afterwards we had correlation with Brother J. I forgot to write
this day Thursday night, so that's why it might be a little more boring than
the others.
Friday we had zone conference so we had to wake up early in the
morning to go and clean off our windows. For zone conference they inspect your
car to make sure that it is clean and that everything is going good. Anywho there were 2 members
of the 70 at zone conference Elder Cook (and his wife) and Elder Cordon (and
his wife). It was such a change to how zone conferences are run and how they
are... Like completely. Normally wee brake out into trainings and learn how to
do missionary situational stuff, but this was just pure talking about
conversion and how to help investigators become converts. President Haynie is
really pushing that the people that we baptize are converted. Zone conference
normally lasts from 9-2 I'm pretty sure, and this one went from 9-4... We all
were so tired. Just imagine sitting in a chapel that long only with about a 40
minute break for lunch. Well, I got to see some old companions and they are
doing really well. I saw Elder B and oh how much I miss him! He is still
doing good and we talked for a bit. Elder S also sang for zone conference
because he has an amazing voice, so that was cool. He is also doing well.
Afterwards we had a packed day. We tried to go and visit some potentials and
everything, but nobody was home. We talked to this guy outside his house and
his name was D. We chatted for a bit and I think his first impression was a
good one, so hopefully maybe in the future missionaries will be able to teach
him. We also stopped by the house of this guy named S, he wasn't there, but
his roommate M (these guys are all a bit older) was there. M is Irish to
the core and he is a little older, so he needs to take things at a slower pace.
I don't know how the conversation went this way, I think we were talking about
age or something, when I mentioned the movie The Quiet Man... Oh how his eyes lit
up! He was like "you know that show?!!!" And he went off on all the
parts that he likes about it. I should've mentioned Darby O Gill and the Little
people or something like that, goodness. It was really funny because I don't
remember much about those movies, but hey, I think it made his day so that's
what counts. Dad, there you go, the old movies actually did something, even
though I don't remember them at all. We had a member pay for us to go to
Hometown buffet, but they didn't stay to eat with us (this is how Tongan wards
do it here in LA) and so we ate at a buffet again in the same week. We then had
a lesson with W and K and that was really good too. We watched a Mormon
message and talked about it and they liked it a lot, tears, again... Everything.
W is definitely progressing:)
Saturday in the morning we were getting ready to go to the VC and
so we showed up at W and K and when we showed up at their house, they
were not feeling up to go to the VC. We were a little sad, but we figured since
we were already there and they were too, that we could watch Meet the Mormons
with them because they had never seen it before. W is definitely not your
regular guy, but he is awesome. The ENTIRE time the movie was going on, he was
watching intently... It was perfect. Both K and W were crying and I'm
sitting here like "man they are very emotional", but you wouldn't say
that to a pregnant Tongan and her husband that has been in the streets his
whole life. We had a little testimony meeting at the end of the lesson and that
was really cool. We went back to the apartment to have lunch, because it was
about that time of the day. We don't need to buy food at all just because of
how much food the Tongan members give us, it is really sad and awesome at the
same time. We went to go and see a less active member named M who is
struggling real bad. He grew up Mormon his whole life, but then when he went to
college he fell off the boat. He now has very humble circumstances and feels
almost unworthy to go back to church. He wants us to help reactivate him and he
really is a nice guy. We had a lesson with him and he enjoyed it a lot. He
invited us to his bday party on Monday and told us that we just might be the
missionaries to reactivate him... Sweet! We had a member from the Tongan ward
buy us food from The Habit which is a burger joint, have y'all ever tried it?
It is pretty good. We then went to go and see M S, but she was sleeping
so that didn't happen
Sunday was Stake Conference for the Inglewood Stake and that was
interesting. We get there early so that way we could save seats for our
investigators and before Stake Conference there was a special meeting for the
Spanish wards with Elder Cordon before it started, so all the good seats were
taken by the Latinos.. Ya, the Tongans weren't too happy about that. Anywho, we
tried to save seats for our investigators, but none of them really came. R didn't come because M, his fiancé, had to go to the ER the night before
and is really sick, so I guess that that's ok;) Stake Conference was good, I
saw a lot of people that I recognized from wards that I have served in before
and so that was nice to see them. After that we swung by W and K because we rescheduled to go to the VC with them on Sunday, but we were worried
because they didn't show up to conference. They said that they still wanted to
go to the VC so we waited for them to get ready and then we left. It was an
awesome visit! We watched Meet the Mormons 2 and all the family was crying
during it, ya that's right! We brought the whole family of K and they all
cried.. Bam! We then went and walked around the temple and took some pictures
with them. We got back to the apartment in time to change and then go to our
dinner appointment with the P, a super Mormon family. I mean they have a
BYU den of just BYU paraphernalia and fan lore so that is just cool. They also
said that they are heading down to Utah this week to watch the BYU - UCLA game
and that I could give them the package and that they could give it to y'all!
After the dinner we went to go and see J J. He is the boyfriend of a
member and he plays football at El Camino college. He was pushed a little too
much by missionaries in the past so we are trying to work at his speed. He has
said that he wants to get baptized, so that's good.
Have a fun week!
Love,
Elder
Roberts
No comments:
Post a Comment