Dear Family...
hhmmmmm. Where do I even
begin?? The first week in my area was really good. I will write about 2
different things today because this is what happened: I was transferred to the
Palos Verdes zone and I lived right by the beach (I will send pictures just give
me time cause its on my camera). But I received and mid- cycle transfer last
night from the APs and now I am in a different are with a completely different
companion in the center of LA (basically) and we are on bike. Please pray that
I don't get my bike stolen, its gonna be a long transfer.
Ok so the wonderful Palos
Verdes area in the city of San Pedro. Transfer day was pretty crazy, it was
pouring rain. Elder Parker and I woke up and there was water everywhere in the
apartment, so we cleaned it up and went to the new Senior Companion training at
7 AM, ugh we were so tired. I was told that I was going to be co- senior
companions with Elder Hunsaker, but we all just think that it is the way the
mission is getting rid of the titles 'junior' and 'senior' companions, by
making everyone a senior companion. So Elder Hunsaker was the driver because he
knows the area and I don't want to drive, good decision, false. He is one of
the most weirdest drivers I have ever met, I love that Elder to death, but he
is a terrible driver. He signals I think about 2 blocks before he is making his
turn, he drives SUPER slow and he drives with 2 feet (IDK maybe he drove stick
back at home). That's kinda how crazy the driving part of the week went. My
grandpa Elder McBride (he trained Elder Wheelwright so he is my grandpa, ask
Charlie for questions) and he was in the area before me. I got 2 ties from him
and they are pretty cool. He actually wants to do ballroom at BYU so IDK if you
could keep me updated on him, his last name was McBride.
Anywho, the week was full
of miracles and craziness. The very first lesson that we planned to have was
with a potential, meaning someone who said to come back and they might be
interested. Well we found her, G, outside talking to a boy, great. We just started
to do a little How To Begin Teaching and then we taught The Restoration. It was
one of the most unorganized lessons ever. IDK what it was, for some reason I
was just messing up left and right. I couldn't remember Elder Hunsaker's name, and
I couldn't even tell the First Vision!! After the lesson of course I said it,
but during no. When I couldn't say the First Vision word for word I asked Elder Hunsaker to do it. He said it and I told G why I wanted her to hear it
perfectly, word for word. The spirit was so strong, we set a baptismal date and
she was super excited. She had already had a Book of Mormon and everything was
just amazing. The rest of the day was just crazy. We went contacting and these
two guys stopped us and asked "If a guy cheats on his wife, is that
bad?" - Duh. They were a little sketchy and a little rude but we talked to
them and it was an interesting conversation. We also talked to this rather
feminine- fit- eastern European guy. He asked us "what gives you the
authority to do this?" So we replied "We have been called by a living
day prophet of God and our representatives of Jesus Christ"... WABAM! we
talked for a bit and he confused himself because he was trying to say that the
Jews killed Jesus because they wanted him to remain 'pure' and celibate so
that's why they killed him. They knew he was their Messiah.. all this
nonsense, we didn't have time to talk to him anymore so we just walked
away. The picture of the turtle is at this RC house and her name is
Hermana Fleatas and she is from Argentina. Wow was her accent super thick
and nasily. She is really funny, we joked and she said that she liked me,
that's good:) White people are really rude, they never want to talk to
missionaries, that's why I love being called Spanish speaking:) We talked
to this guy who was smoking and drinking coffee (do I wish I had a pamphlet
then) and he was a Greek Orthodox. He was super racist though.
So the guy was super
racist. He said that muslims (he called them 'arabs' ugh) were really bad and
mistaken and fooled by the devil, blah blah blah. He then went off on random
topics like how it use to be that Mormons were hired before other people
because managers knew that Mormons don't do stupid things. When we first talked
to him he said that he belongs to the One and Only True Apostolic Church (or
the Greek Orthodox). He also tried to say that Peter wasn't the true leader of
the apostles and that it was someone else, but he never said who that was. I
told him that we represent the Church of Jesus Christ so which church would be
true.... he thought and thought, and then never responded back to that
question. Made me think. The ward was really cool. The Bishop is a white guy
and his Spanish is really weird. He has no accent whatsoever, but his grammar
is flawless. It is really funny actually. Everybody in the ward loves
missionaries, but hates them from Utah, so I told them that I was from Colorado
hahahha.
The "vacation"
spot of the mission didn't last long. Last night I received a call from the Aps
saying that I am being transferred to 6th ward in LA2 zone, basically LA area.
I am in a bike area and my new companion is Elder Aguilar. This is his last
transfer in the mission so he his super trunky. He barely just came to this
area so basically we are whitewashing. I am not looking forward to biking, but
hey, that's the mission life. We have a washer and dryer in our apartment so
that is a super huge blessing!
Let me know if I left
anything out! Sorry about the pictures of the beach, maybe i'll go back there
someday, but for now I am in the area called
THE JUNGLE!!!
Love, Elder Roberts
No comments:
Post a Comment