Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Week 54 - Transfers

And I'm going to.......
.....
.....
.......
.......
......
.....
.....

South Gate Branch! It's not the Ward that I was in, completely different zone. I will be follow up training Elder S, who is from Utah (dang it) and I will also be the District Leader there. I am in the same zone as Elder C from our stake. We also double cover two branches, one of which is a SAMOAN branch. I'm totally gonna get fat now.

Monday was kinda ridiculous. We bought a lot of candy and pizza and soda so that way we could have a party transfer night in our apartment with just Elder L and I. Then after that the ZLs gave me the package, so now I have a lot of candy. We played some basketball and soccer which wasn't really fun cause other missionaries were playing too crazy, so I think next week we will find something better to do, something cooler. After Pday had ended, we had a lesson with Ladi and her family. They are super cool. We then biked down to the JUNGLA and had dinner with the Flores family. It was a good dinner, but just sad because they were fighting that day.

Tuesday I had my 2nd Quarter training/ Year mark training. It was a little weird and it made me a little trunky at times. The sad part about it was that I saw the people who are in my group that I will be going home with. There is only 1 other Elder in my group and his name is Elder H (from China), the rest of the group are sister missionaries and there are about 8 of them. So it was really weird because Elder H doesn't speak English very well so whenever the 'Elders' had to do something it was always me being called on.... Ugh. It was a weird training because President Weidman basically said "you all have been out forever, and you still will be out forever" just cause this is the halfway point. I think if I were to ballpark when I fly home it would be February 8th, just a guess because of how transfers work/ might work out, but I could be wrong. After the training we went to Subway for lunch cause we felt like eating out again. We stopped by S and she doesn't seem as solid as we had hoped cause we told her about Sacrament Meeting and how important it was, but she seemed uninterested or annoyed with us. We then tried to visit a lot of referrals and potential investigators with no luck, nobody was home. We ate dinner at the E house and I was just feeling super bummed out. After dinner we had a lesson with the M's and A and C. It was a cool lesson because C has been reading in his Book of Mormon and when we asked him questions about what he read, he could tell us. He has already read 16 chapters! He is a fireball. 

Wednesday was a somewhat fast, and slow day. We had temple service early in the morning, so we woke up around 5:45 and dressed in our normal clothes, finally! It felt weird though. I thought that we were going to work out in the hot sun all day, and that I was going to get a tan, but no! We actually got to clean INSIDE the temple, which was still kinda boring in a way, but the fact that literally we were cleaning God's house made me realize a couple things: that the house of God is amazing and full of things to ponder and think about for days. That even when you are cleaning, there is a reverence in the temple, and that household chores also apply to the house of the Lord hahaha. We cleaned for about 6 hours, so that was a little tiring. We came home and showered and began to prepare to head out. We decided to contact all of our referrals that we have, or the major 'chunk' of them. We recently had a training about referrals and how important it is to contact them within 24 hours, so we made the plans to visit them. We talked to people along the way, and sadly most of the referrals weren't home or didn't live there anymore. We did however, find a prepared man. He had talked to the English elders and they sent him to us as a referral. We had a small doorstep lesson with him and set up a return appointment for Saturday. He also told us that he would like us to talk to his family. After that we were walking around and we saw up ahead that the English missionaries were walking in our direction. Elder L said "hey, look! We are gonna go talk to the elders!" I told him that we should turn directly to the left (which was another street) because we are not suppose to talk to other missionaries while we are proselyting. I told him it because the English missionaries are super cool and I know I would just talk my head off to them. We kept walking down the street and this lady who just got out of her car said to us "hello Elders". We were so surprised because rarely does anyone call us 'Elders', even members. We thought she might be a member, but I knew she wasn't cause I know every member in the area sooooo who could she be? We talked to her and she told us her name. I asked her what her last name was and it turns out that she is this lady we have been looking for! Going through the Area Book we found someone named S C and the sentence next to her name said "will be baptized for sure", and lo and behold, here she was. We immediately set up a return appointment for Saturday. Now that wouldn't have happened had we talked to the other missionaries. We then biked down to dinner with the R family and we ate potato tacos, which are super good. After dinner we biked to the A family and we stopped by to see how W was doing (the one that is pregnant that I 'offended') and it was awkward. You know when you know someone feels a certain way about you and you try and fix things and act like nothing ever happened, that awkward feeling? Ya that happened. I doing even know what I did though! We had a lesson with most of the family and it was a good lesson. I think W just has a lot of questions right now, and she needs to gain a testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith. Plus it doesn't help that she is gonna have her baby boy any second now. 

Thursday was a long day. We had weekly planning to do and the apartment inspectors wanted to come by. That's the 2nd time this transfer! What the heck man? Our apartment isn't even dirty! They are suppose to only check once a transfer. It's not that I don't like them, they're super cool and from South Jordan, but it's just annoying cause we have stuff that we want to do and we always have to wait until they are done. We tried to stop by a couple people who told us to go by on Thursday, but they weren't home. We saw this guy sitting on the corner of a street and he looked really down. We walked over to him and asked him what was wrong, then we saw it. He was all bloody and scraped up. He asked us to call 911 because he had just gotten hit by a car while he was riding his bike (feel your pain bro). We called and waited for the ambulance to show up. He had to get a neck brace cause he couldn't move his neck and his mouth was just bleeding everywhere cause he lost and chipped some of his teeth. After that we tried to stop by a couple people when AGAIN we saw the LA1 ZLs... So we crossed the street. The first guy we saw we talked to him. He wanted to argue with us about polygamy, but as we talked to him more and more, his questions became resolved, we had a short lesson with him and set up a return appointment for Saturday. We then went back home because we didn't have a dinner appointment. We then stopped by L's house and E as well, they are both doing ok.

Friday A called us in the morning to cancel the appointment to the Visitor Center, so that was sad. We had district meeting and I went on exchanges with my DL Elder G (no not my old companion, another missionary). I went to his area and it was a nice break. We ate at this super 'hip' place called Blaze Pizza, it was good. It cost like 9$ for a custom made pizza. I put smoked ham, pepperoni, grilled chicken, tomatoes, zucchinis, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on it, sooo good. Worth 9$?? Probably cause it's California. We then knocked on some doors and talked to people in the street. Their area is SO small. Literally it is the smallest area in the mission whereas my area is the biggest area in bike in the entire mission. We had dinner with the R family, he is the 1st counselor in the bishopric. They gave us lasagna and it was good, but I couldn't finish a 2nd plate. Then came desert, it was so good! It was this ice cream thing and omg I loved it. We had a couple lessons during the day and those were good, little weird though haha. 

Saturday was just a rough day because the exchanges ended badly and then the rest of the day was just hard. Nothing cray happened, no cool stories, just a hot, miserable day.

Sunday was a little crazy cause it was transfer calls. I figured I was going home so I took pictures with a couple families. Church was alright, gospel principles was crazy and off topic, but what's new right? After church we went to the Visitor Center with P and R and some Ward members. It was super cool and P just kept saying thank you 's the entire time. After that I got a call from President Weidman to be a DL. We were more nervous because that means that I would definitely be leaving. We finished off the night with a lesson with L and L A with the Elders Quorum President H O. It was super cool cause L was really interested in reading the Book of Mormon. We also gave Ladi a blessing because she went into the hospital today for the kidney transplant. We told her that we were being transferred and she tried to give us a hug... Ahh! We told her we can't hug and she was so apologetic it was funny. After we got the call we cooked pizzas and drank soda to celebrate our last day together.


Love, 
Elder Roberts



No comments:

Post a Comment