Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Week 58

Weekly Letter

Monday was a good day. We tried to set plans with some of the other elders in our zone, but that failed. So we ended up playing sports with Elder D and Elder F. They are the other elders in the district. We played basketball and soccer, and I was having a really off day. It was pretty funny though because at the end when Elder D and I were on the same team playing soccer, I had an open shot on goal. Elder S then dove on his side to try and block the shot with his back, but instead of kicking it, I held on to it. I tapped it around him then smacked it in. We were all amazed and laughing that Elder S dove and slid to block it, but it was funny that I just walked around him and smacked it in. We then had a FHE with a Samoan family. The husband is A (member) and his wife is B(non-member / Buddhist). Their two kids, a boy and a girl, are both baptized and incredibly active. The kids go to church but the dad doesn't. They are only 10 and 9!!! Their mom,  B, does support them because she knows that it makes them happy. What we are trying to do is to slowly get the dad active so that way the spirit is more in their home and Bambi's heart will slowly be softened. We read in The Book of Mormon with them and then they gave us ice cream. After we had originally a lesson with the C family, but they canceled on us.

Tuesday was just a crazy busy day for us. We started off with NMO 3 which is the training in which the new missionaries (Elder S) get their IPads and we have trainings for 3 hours. I went to it last transfer with Elder L and it was cool, so I knew what the trainings were about and other missionaries are starting to remember me and call on me more. It was funny cause the missionaries who are now the Zone Leaders are either friends from high school, or past companions, or missionaries whom I've served around, so it's really fun to see them. During NMO 3 you switch companions for the training, so I was with a missionary named Elder M from Japan. His companion is Elder C, the other DL who we share District Meeting with, so it was fun to be with him. It was really sad because the iPad wouldn't work with his missionary codes and stuff so they told him that they would get him another one later. I had to explain to him that because he is from Japan and not from USA or Canada, the iPad he will be using is a loaner iPad, not his, and that he would have to give it back at the end of his mission. We then went to go and visit A and S F, they are a mother and daughter duo. A, the mom, told us that she would prepare to be baptized on the 10th with her daughter. She also said that she told her brother, who is the only other member in the family that Stephanie was being baptized and that she wants it to be a surprise that she is being baptized (hey, whatever helps motivate her to keep going, and come on, it's adorable). We ate dinner at the L's and man, does Sister L cook! We walked in and the table was filled with food! I thought that her kids were going to come and eat, but no, she prepared for us and her husband. There were ribs, wings, chicken salad, rice, rolls, taro... Everything! I was so full, I only had 1 plate cause the food was so filling! Elder S ate a lot... Like a lot. It was even more crazy when she gave us leftovers and then gave us laundry detergent, mouth wash, and Mr. Good bars! Samoan members I tell ya, wow. We had a lesson scheduled with the C family and it's really sad because we haven't been able to meet with them as often as we would like, but we are not losing hope on them!

Wednesday was an ok day. We had a lot of lessons planned for the day, but when we called to confirm them, all of them canceled on us. We then decided to go and visit less actives and recent converts. We first read with M. He is the nephew of our WML and he moved to Arizona, but then moved back. We talked with him for a bit and read in the Book of Mormon with him. It was so nice, he gave us donuts, muffins, a bean burrito, just kept giving us food basically hahaha. We then decided to go and visit a recent convert that I have never met before. While trying to knock on her door, there were two entrances, the gate, and the car entrance. The gate was locked but it seemed like the car entrance was open. I started to pull on the gate for the entrance when WHHOOM! A HUGE pit bull came running straight at us and I quickly hurried to shut the gate. Yes it looked mean and Elder S was making fun of me saying that I almost got us killed. Well, we decided that we probably couldn't enter into the house, so we went to the neighbors house, which is a less active family. We met the daughter and she told us at her family has a business in Provo for selling Mexican candies and food down there, so that is why they haven't been coming to church. The mom made us help wrap some of the Mexican candy apples and that was fun. She told us that they weren't spicy (remember she is from Mexico) and after I explained everything, she still made me eat one hahaha. Yes, it was spicy, but it was also super sweet! We picked up our dinner from the church and ate it there. Look for a picture, I know, all of my pictures right now are just of food, but I accidentally left my camera in my last area and they still haven't gotten it back to me yet. We had coordination after and it was such a crazy event. One of the Hermanas wasn't feeling too well so right as we began talking to our WML our branch president walked in and said "Elders, a sister isn't feeling well and we need you to give her a blessing" within seconds the sister was in and we sat her down in a chair. One of the elders asked her for her name, but she was in so much pain that we just decided to give her a blessing by calling her Hermana and then her last name. During the prayer she started to calm down. 911 was called, and we and the other elders waited outside to flag down the ambulance. It was even more sad because people didn't know what was going on, so when the youth went outside, the hermana's daughter did too. When she saw her mom she started to cry hysterically. I was so shocked, I didn't know what to do. But that's when the South Gate branch came in because they really know what it means to be a family. Two relief society sister took the daughter to the side and started to calm her down while everyone was making room for the medics. All in all we found out that she was having really bad acid in her stomach, but she felt pain in her heart and her left arm, so that's why everything was very serious because, you know, heart attack.. Stroke, ya. So that's what ended the night... Yay......

Thursday was a crazy day. Normally we have our weekly planning around 12-3 but because we had some set appointments, we decided to do it earlier around 10-1. Planning was so much easier because now Elder S has his IPad! We finished planning and then went to go get lunch. After that we visited with L and hermana P. L has been reading and praying! It was cool because hermana P told us more about herself and how she come to know about the church and eventually baptized. The crazy thing about it is that her name is S P, if she takes her husband's last name. That translates to holy shepherd in Spanish. So whenever she has friends or family visit the church and all of us call her and her husband the 'Pastors' they all think that they are the owners of the church. How Hermana P came to know the church is amazing. 

Friday I went on exchanges with Elder M, one of my ZLs. We had originally planned to go in exchanges with Elder F and Elder D so Elder S planned the day for him and Elder F. When the ZLs called though, they said that I was staying in my area with Elder M... So I had to use the plans that Elder S basically made cause I had him do the whole day because he was going to be doing them, right. I also had to give the training at DM and that was a little stressful, not because the other Elders would make fun of me (which they would because we are all chill) but because I really wanted it to be good. The exchange started and we didn't have any set appointments. We contacted for days, but saw so many miracles. We visited M G and visited with her for a while. We also found a family of 4 that we just started to talk to! It was really cool. Our dinner appointment told us to meet at the church (Samoan) and so we went there next. It was really awkward because I don't know any of the members and Elder M surely doesn't so when I saw a sister walking towards us with some food, I happily introduced myself, but then she told us that the food was inside and drove off. 

So I forgot to write the rest of the week... Just cause we have been busy with everything, but I'll do better next time:)


Love,
Elder Roberts



No comments:

Post a Comment