Korea Town week 6
Monday was Pday and it was pretty weird. We went to get a haircut
and it was alright. The guy talks a lot but hey, it was pretty good, cost 10$
and he seemed really nice, so it was good. We then went back to our apartment and
then I took a shower while my companion did... Idk. We cleaned ourselves up and
then went to go and email... Shop.. Etc. I bought very little because it was
the last week of the transfer and I wanted to save money. We then made plans
with the ZLs to go and play basketball and frisbee. It was a little weird, but
I feel like I'm just starting to complain right now, so I'm just gonna stop
right there. We had a little bit of time left so we went to Boba Time in our
area (totally would go back someday) and then we went to go and see W and
his brother R. They are less active members and they are struggling with..
You guessed it, church attendance! It was a pretty nice little visit and I
enjoyed it. Afterwards the family that we had dinner planned with bailed on
us... They weren't even home. We then finally caught M, a recent
convert youth, right as her and her mom were leaving their home. We set a time
to go back next week.
Tuesday we had this intense study as a mission about the Sabbath
day. It is a problem with most areas that the investigators haven't been coming
to church and so when it is a big problem, there is normally a study for the
whole mission. We studied talks and PMG and it was super good, I took lots of
notes. There are so many more ways to keep the Sabbath Day holy that I feel so
bad about now! There is a part in PMG that says that our Sabbath Day worship is
a reflection of our inner commitment to follow the Savior. Then the real
question comes: Am I really committed to serving the Savior? And would people
recognize that by the way that I keep the Sabbath Day holy? Then it was time
for exchanges. I went on exchanges with Elder W in his area and it
was a whole different experience. We talked to a lot of people and I am grateful
that I have had experiences on my mission that have helped me be able to relate
to others. I learned a lot of patience on the exchange. I learned a lot about
truly listening to what others have to say to me and when to talk to them. As a
missionary I think it is our responsibility to give everyone the best chance to
hear about the restored gospel, which means listening intently to what they are
trying to say to us. We had an opportunity to have an improv lesson with this
guy named E. We showed him a Mormon message and then got his information and
he was kinda interested, it was a tender mercy on a really hot day. We tried to
visit a lot of potentials, but nobody was home, it was really sad. This
gangster guy came up to us and was really trying hard to intimidate us, and (ok
I'm just gonna be completely honest here) Elder W was not the best in
that situation. The guy was talking about crazy stuff and he was a little
drunk, so of course we should be slower with him and just leave right? Nope.
Elder here just started to antagonize him by saying things like "you just
think you're so tough huh?" I was like (enter Emoji here). I was almost
just gonna go off on him... Oh man. Well after that we met with a less active
youth named John. He is pretty chill, just doesn't come to church... Everyone,
the problem here in LA. We then were scheduled to eat with this family and when
we showed up to eat with them, the Hermana told us that she hadn't prepared
anything because she just barely came back from work and didn't have any time
to fix food for us. We then went and ate panda instead. We biked around the
legit downtown downtown and omg I almost got really mad at my companion for the
day because here I am, on a freaking heavy mountain bike biking uphill and here
he is, a much more fit Elder biking on a fixie that is a featherweight. It was
all good and I held my temper... I still am haha. We ended the night at
coordination and we were asked to have one member from each companionship talk
at church about missionary work, so all of the senior companions decided to
speak... Aka me, I'll let you know how that went. It was pretty funny though
because the WML and I were making funny faces at each other because he was
getting a little bored when other missionaries were talking... Oh Hermano
R.
Wednesday we switched back from the exchange and we set out to go
and see S. She was super tired so we didn't see her. We ended up talking to
her mom and that was interesting. She was talking about all the challenges that
she has. We then had to bike really hard to go and see E and E. We have
had to change a lot of things about how we teach them, but hey, sometimes you
have to switch things up. We then saw the R family and oh my goodness,
I am so frustrated sometimes with my investigators! We try so hard to help them
understand the importance of everything about the gospel, take it slow, do
daily contact, pray for them, everything! But somehow they just don't progress.
We biked to go and see a lady named J V. She is really nice, but
super Catholic. How do you help someone not cross themselves after a prayer?
She is a very sweet lady and she's also from Peru, so I'm kinda bias, but she
is just so upfront with us, it's nice almost.
Thursday was a very long day. We had weekly planning on that was
good, kinda. We then tried to go and see a PM family, but they couldn't meet
with us, so that was sad. We stopped by L to see how they were going and they
were having lots of family problems so that was sad. We shared a scripture with
them and hopefully that helped the situation. We wanted to take a less active
to visit some recent converts, but his mom wanted him to run some errands so
that didn't happen. We still saw the recent converts and they gave us some
food. It was good because one of their family members were there and so they
would bear their testimonies to him and we also showed a video to them. We then
had a series of lessons that were planned out cancel on us. It was really sad.
We even brought out a youth with us to go and teach! We ended up visiting a
less active family with him and that was alright, but it was still pretty
depressing.
Friday was district meeting and after we went to go and see the
B family. It was a bit better than before, so at least they are
progressing. We ate diner with the A family and that was a little weird.
They made a stir fry and put worschester and soy sauce with taps tip on it... I
cannot believe I survived hahaha. (Sorry I don't remember more from this day)
Saturday lots of stuff happened. We had a street lesson and set a
return appointment. We visited a couple less active youth in the P family
and that was good. We ate dinner with the R and they gave Elder B a
cake because Monday is his birthday. (Sorry we are just rushed on time today,
I'll email more later maybe)
Sunday just threw me off. The day started out nice, but then I
guess we were suppose to go to a meeting in the morning with the bishop, but we
were never told about it. So we arrived late to the meeting so that looked real
bad.. Ugh. Then I gave a talk during sacrament meeting that I had to cut short,
but it's all good, I survived. I didn't do so good at looking at the audience
because I wanted to get in most of my talk. Everyone said I did good, so that's
good. Nobody came to church again... I'm getting a little sad about that. It
was nice though because all the members were saying that they were going to
miss us cause of transfers. We went back to the apartment to change. While
walking outside, we saw the R family! (Their baptismal dates fell
because they didn't come to church). They said that they would be home later
and that we could come by to see them. We kept walking and talking to people,
and eventually we swung by to see E. He is just going through a really
rough time right now. I think he is on that teenager mode when he is so cool
that nothing is cool for him. We try to explain things to him, but he never
applies it, it's really depressing sometimes. Returning home to the apartment
for our dinner hour, I just crashed. I was so exhausted that I didn't even eat
dinner. Afterwards we went to the R family to give the twins their
children's Book of Mormon copies. We shared the message of the Restoration of
the gospel of Jesus Christ and it was pretty good. Best part of the lesson was
definitely when we were talking about repentance and we said that 'sin is
disobedience to God's commandments' and then we kinda were sneaky and freaked
out the kids by saying... "And what is the 4th commandment of the 10
commandments (cause we taught them this)" they were like "go to
church!.... 😱😨😰. It was so funny! Their faces were almost white! We
explained the miracle of the atonement and the process of repentance and then
their frowns and faces turned to smiles and with determination they said to
their mom "we are going to church next week!" It. Was. Awesome.
That's how the day ended, kinda, because we just tried to visit people and they
weren't home.
Sorry that this letter is a little more depressing, it was a more
sad week, but hey, new transfer, new change right?
Love,
Elder
Roberts
No comments:
Post a Comment