The food that we have been having isn't really weird. I mean we have pupusas which are amazing and everyone from El Salvador (half the ward) says that they make the best so that is what we eat a lot of. We had pizza and spaghetti with la familia V, so that was a nice refresher.
This week has been a roller coaster. We haven't really had a lot of success it seemed like, so I was getting a little sad. One day I was kinda bummed and it just stunk. Throughout this week though we have had a lot of funny contacts, because hey, we talk to everyone. (I am actually struggling with that still, but I think that I am improving A LOT) So there was this couple and we stopped them. They asked us all of these doctrinal questions and it was like, bam! bam! answer this, answer that. ALL DONE! We told them that we could send the missionaries to their house (they are out of our area) and they said that they would like that. We have had some of the funniest stories this week. This stoned lady was behind her house and we said hi to her, she RAN around the house because she wanted to talk to us. She (with her eyes all crazy and her body shaking) told us that she believed in spirits and demons cause her sister who passed away appeared to her in the form of a giant dove that hit her window and when it hit is said "hey sis, I'm ok" oh I tried so hard not to laugh. She asked if we could say a prayer for her and her "demons" so we did. We went into an area that we haven't been into recently just to knock some doors and contact to hopefully get some return dates or a lesson or two. Elder W knocked on a door and the lady asked "Who is it?" "The missionaries!" she answered and she was on the phone. We asked if she believed in Christ and she was taken back , and said to the lady on the phone "did you hear that! some white boys don't think I believe in Christ!!" the lady on the other line said "tell them to go away!!" and the lady in front of us said "ahahaha have a nice day, I'm gonna put a soliciting sign up so you can't come back!!" Funny part is, we can... cause we don't sell anything... awkward. I love knocking on the doors that have the sign "Soy Catolico, no aceptamos las propogandas de otras religiones" (you guys can figure that out) anyways, they are always fun to knock. This older guy told me that Mormons where vile and a cult because we have too many wives. We told him that thats incorrect. He said that "well in Utah" so I jumped in and told him that I am from Utah and that I only have 1 mother and that polygamy was actually illegal before the 1900s in Utah. He looked at me and said "oh..." and we gave him a card:) Another guy stopped us and said that he married a Mormon lady and that she was "excommunicated a couple times".... WHAT!!!??? so that was awkward.. but he gave us water bottles so we said thank you. I love it when people from other religions say that "No prophet can follow Christ" I mean, have you even read the Bible?? You have John, Peter, Paul... heck you wouldn't even know about Christ if they didn't write about it!! Anywho, we just look for latinos and normally they are really nice.
With our investigators we have a few that seem like they have potential. One investigator is having trouble with the WoW and we asked him if it would be ok if we read 10 minutes every day with him. He said yes and that's what we have been doing. God is really helping him. He promised us that he would come to all 3 hours of church and go to the VC with us next week so we are stoked. One of the families that we have know all the lessons and have a testimony of the Book, they just don't want to be baptized... yet. They told us at the end of July... WHAT?? because they have family in Utah that wants to see them baptized and blah blah blah.. I'm not sure they even understand their excuse. We brought the ward missionaries with us to teach a family so hopefully everything goes well there.
This week I have learned a lot about grace. Do you remember Uchtdorf's talk this last conference creo? pues era muy bien and it talks about the gift of grace. Basically it comes down to this: We are nothing without the Savior. He is the ONLY reason we will make it to heaven and be with our families and loved ones for eternity. Why do we keep commandments then? Because we love God. its that simple. We go to church because we love God, we go to the temple, because we love God. We do everything out of our love for God and hopefully, one day, we will understand a speck of the love that he has for us.
Well that's what I learned a lot about this week, sorry that this letter is short. You know it's been a fast week when the letters are shorter hehehehe.
tenga un dia
te amo
Elder Roberts
No comments:
Post a Comment