Amorosa Familia,
Gracias for the Birthday
letters and the packages! THANK YOU!
Questions as always: My companion is the short one that is by me in the baptismal
picture (I think you got one of those). And in the picture of the zone, I am
also right by him. My suit is clean, IDK what I said but it is clean. The only
thing that is wrong with my suit is that the pants still need to come up about
an inch. The bird poop came off super easy, don't worry about that, it was just
a funny story that I wanted to tell you all. The deep cleaning is still going
on, just because I try and do about 30-45 minutes a day because it is pretty
bad. I am doing good on contacting:
let me explain what I mean by contacting because I think somebody might be
confused. Contacting is like tracking but its in the streets instead of houses.
I say contacting loosely but what I really mean is a conversation with someone
in the street. A lesson with an investigator is not contacting, its a lesson,
does that make sense? Starting conversations is really easy for me now, but
sometimes I am just lazy and don't do it.
Investigators: K was
not confirmed this last Sunday. It was so sad. She needs a ride to come to
church and there was a big confusion as to who her ride was so she didn't have
a ride. Her baby boy, T, apparently had an accident because of the heat in
her house so she wasn't even ready to go to church. She can still be confirmed
next week (fingers crossed) but Elder C was really upset about the
whole thing. I would try to help him brush it off, but for some reason he just
wouldn't listen, understandable... K was flawless up to that point in
everything, but its a part of life and we can move forward. A (12 year
old) we are teaching him because his brother with Down Syndrome doesn't want to
change wards so estamos ensenando a el. He is really prepared to be baptized,
the only problem is that he is shy, but he is slowly opening up to us. Cross
your fingers that we have a baptism this coming week!! We also taught the
husband of our relief society president. He has a lot of doubts about the Book
of Mormon and we always end up talking forever. He tried to tell us that he saw
on Discovery Channel that historians have found that Jesus had a children, even
a daughter. I was thinking, "Maybe you have just watched The Davinci Code
recently" anywho, when he told us that we just looked at him.. it was a
little awkward. I think this week we will try and talk to him more about
eternal families because apparently (no sabiamos) que he made a promise to his
catholic parents that he would die a catholic... Temple to the rescue! We are
planning on teaching him about baptisms for the dead and all that amazing
jazziness. We also taught this lady named R A and her husband. We had
heard that she was a little crazy but didn't really believe it. The first
lesson we decided to see what she remembered and she tried to tell us that
in our church we have a wheel with all the dead peoples faces on it to serve as
a memorial or something... uh no. I was thinking, the only thing that I
can think that is close to that is when we do baptisms for the dead
in the temple, but even then that's a stretch. The teaching record
said that they have been taught the restoration a lot but don't seem to
understand it. Well, we taught the restoration to see where they don't
understand and yep, its the whole authority thing. During the lesson they
seemed super solid, we invited them to be baptized and WOOP, nope, didn't want
to. We asked them if they understood what we had taught them or if they had any
questions and they said "No"... hmmmm 'I do not think that means what
you think it means' so we will try to help them.
Contacts/ Funny
conversations: To start things off, J the green haired skateboarder. So we
decided to walk to our area one day (because we are allotted a certain amount
of miles each month and the zone leaders took away 200 because last month they
went over 200) so we walked to save miles. The English missionaries picked us
up and we went to the Branch building to exchange referrals and to tell them
how some of their investigators were doing that they gave us. All of a sudden
J came into the Branch and decided to tell us, basically, his life story.
How he was shot, grew up around drugs, had seen crazy visions of demons and
everything. The worst part about it was that the English elders were right
about to tell him the First Vision when he interrupted them... ENSERIO?? anywho
it was really weird, he was saying that he is 'the type of guy' that could
convince us to do drugs.. uh no! Let me give you this pamphlet called the Word
of Wisdom J... it was really weird so we just left. Elder C got
WAY sunburnt and then he had a random rash on his leg so it hurt him to walk a
bit. This random lady stopped us and asked us to pray with her, she tried to
hold our hands to pray, but I just folded my arms like a good reverent boy.
During the prayer she stopped and asked "Bless her?" man this prayer
is boring, goodbye! and left... alright, have a good one. This week we also
made a lot of phone calls. We decided to call up the potentials in the area
book and a lot of them didn't remember talking to the missionaries so we would
say something to the fact of "We are the guys in white shirts and ties
that talk about Jesus Christ, we talked in the street remember?" but in
Spanish. Most of them said that they remembered, but to call them back. We did
get a few return appointments though, that was good.
Food: I have been eating
either oatmeal, bagels, or cereal for breakfast. For lunch I have had leftovers
(laugh all you want) and tuna sandwiches. Dinner this week was a humbling
experience. We have a ward member who wanted to feed us and the family doesn't
have a lot of temporal things. They fed us rice and a little chicken, but
I was completely full. They are so nice and super active, they are just an
amazing family. Members took us out to eat a places like Burger King and Subway
this week, so nothing really to show for pictures.
We also had a different
district meeting this week. We only have 4 missionaries total in our district
(1 other companionship) and the Zone Leaders asked if they could come to
district meeting. Then, right before it started the APs called and asked if
they could come as well. It was really weird because we just got a new AP
(because one is leaving this coming transfer) and so we had 9 people in
District meeting. They had some pretty crazy stories and it was crazy. The APs
now know Spanish, Spanish, and Japanese, so that means that the next one will
know Spanish (I think) just because the ward that the APs go to are in the same
building as the Spanish ward in the Inglewood building (my last ward).
Personal study, I am a
little behind on my Old Testament reading, but that's just because I am in
Leviticus and its super boring right now hahaha. I have actually read a lot of
Jesus the Christ and man, my mind gets blown every page, practically every
paragraph. I am already a third done with it. Remember how I said that I would
start it later in my mission, ya, NOPE! let me know if I forgot anything,
I will try and send letters
back home ASAP cause today I am going to go buy cool paper to write on with my
favorite pens (.38) they are really small and cool.
Les quiero tanto,
Elder
Roberts
No comments:
Post a Comment