Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Week 23

Habiendo sido comisionado por Jesucristo....

So to answer questions:

I haven't been able to find anyone to hem my pants, because the lady that I thought could do it just got a new calling as a seminary teacher and she is super busy, plus I don't wear those pants unless it is for a special interview or mission meeting, so it's ok for now. I looked around at the dry cleaning places, but all of them are super expensive, 10$ for a tie.. what??  I really like the ties, I have lots of blues, but hey, the ties are awesome so I wear them. I shared goodies with my companion yes, just because I feel bad if I am eating all these snacks while he has nothing to eat because he doesn't budget his money. I am 'kinda' getting along with my companion, not as much as my last companion. We will see what happens at transfers this Sunday, who knows. I think that either he is leaving the area or we will stay together for one more transfer, any guesses?

Onto the week:
K came to church and was confirmed (phew) that was good. She wanted to be confirmed by the previous bishop whose voice is super deep and is almost like a Darth Vader and Morgan Freeman Spanish voice... it's pretty cool. Anyways, after the confirmation, she said 'wow' right after, we all chuckled and it was super cool.

I BAPTIZED A!! Ok so here's the story, brace yourselves:
So he had his baptismal interview this week and he passed (duh he's 12 and we taught him) well his mom told us that his little brother B was being baptized too because he is 8 years old and its for the primary. We were told this on Thursday, so we were freaking out. We tried getting a hold of a member of the bishopric, nothing. Oh so frustrating! so we decided to make a baptismal program based on what A told us he wanted the program to be. Yes, he asked me if I would baptize him so I was super stoked for Sunday. Anywho we took about 30 minutes or longer making the program from scratch on a Word Document and having to type and auto correct Spanish on a very old computer, remember how I have ZERO pacience? So the next day was Sunday and we scheduled to talk with the Bishop at 8 in the morning about the whole thing. He told us that he didn't hear anything about B (the brother) being baptized so we were freaking out. A's mom talked with the Bishop and everything apparently was fine. B was then going to be baptized by his grandpa, well we didn't know if he was worthy or held the priesthood... blah blah ya, so we found out after church and it was a go. So then we taught A the final lesson (lesson 5) after church and before the baptism (baptism was at 4 and church ended at 12:30) so after the lesson with him we went to change the program that we already printed 20 copies of. We went to the other church building where the font is (because our building is too small to have one) and there was another baptism going on! It finished around 3 so we went in, and everything was being picked up! The font was empty, everything, ugh!! (stress right?) so we filled up the font and I got dressed in my white stuff (pictures;) ) And then everyone showed up 10 minutes late, its a latino thing. So when they announced the baptism, the program said that I was baptizing A first and then the Grandpa would baptize B. So after that was announced, the crazy grandpa (he was crazy) just headed straight for the font, we all looked at each other and were like "hey! pssstt! A is first" but he already was in the font, so we had B go first. The grandpa then said A's name instead of B's name WHILE he was holding B in his arms... SERIOUS? so we stopped him and he said "I thought you said A was first?" well, ya, but then you went up and now B is there... ugh crazy loving guy right there. So then I went to baptize A, while I was walking in the font the drain wasn't plugged all the way, I didn't really think about it, but the water was at my hip so I thought "I hope A will go down the first time", ya nope. First time not even close. The water then continued to drain, second time was closer, but still no. We filled up the font a little more and FINALLY on the third time.... Got it:) It was so cool, amazing, wow. Yupp I think that's the only way I can describe it. So then there was a little part during the program for testimonies of the family and of course, crazy grandpa gets up. He pretty much gave a 30-40 minute talk. A's mom was so bored she went to the bathroom and prepared the refreshments. During his talk/testimony A's other brother J (the brother with Down Syndrome) was playing a video game the whole time, it was so funny it was awesome. Pictures will come.

So this week we had a random ZTM which the Zone leaders told us basically that our zone needs to step up on missionary work... yikes. They told us that our zone is actually leading the mission on certain areas so they want us to go crazy.. alrighty. We also got a call last night from them that said because A was baptized, we saved the zone's goal of how many investigators were to be baptized in the month of July, and our district alone almost got half of the baptisms. Remember how my area hasn't had a baptism before I got here in 9 months? Well, we just had 2 in the last month BOO YA! sorry, that was bad, but still, its been intense. We have had a lot of lessons with catholics this week, and trying to explain the whole Apostasy thing, ya no, for some reason it doesn't go through to them or they understand it... IDK. This lady asked us why we don't worship the Virgin Mary, she asked us "Who is more important? Joseph Smith or Mary?" answer: Jesus Christ. She was like.. touché. So then the lesson was actually pretty good. We had to bike one time this week because we are low on mileage for the car (only allotted certain miles each month, end of the month.. etc.) so we biked, I got a couple stickers, but nothing popped, however Elder C has like 5 holes in each of his tubes, its kinda sad and funny at the same time.

We had this lesson with this lady who likes Marijuana. She put it away for the lesson and we began to teach her (she is a former investigator). She asked us why we don't smoke Marijuana, we said "Because it's bad for you" she replied "But its natural" so I replied "So are most poisons". Bam. Done. We taught her how to pray so we'll see how everything goes. We have this part member family that I actually left out of last weeks letter. The dad is less active and drinks a lot and the mom and kids are super catholic, but they love us and we teach them, the only thing is is that they don't come to church. So the dad (J) was electrocuted on Saturday of last week. It rained and apparently they have some legal issues with their house so a wire was on the ground and he stepped on it and it fried his tongue. He was in the hospital and couldn't talk and they did an MRI to see if there was any brain damage. Well, wouldn't you know it, he was driving 2 days later just fine and dandy behind us one day on our way to visit them... WHAT? We tried to talk to him last night and ask why he didn't come to church and he told us that he has the drinking problems... so we will work on that.

Funny Conversations in the streets: So we were waiting to have a lesson with K before Sunday and this teenage girl ran across the street to talk to us, it was super awkward because she thought we were cops or something, idk. We told her what we do and that we wanted to invite her family and everyone to come to church, come to find out her mom is Lesbian (California) and that's why they don't come to church. We told her that we could explain why people think that homosexuality is a sin, which it is, and that it will help her grow her faith and understanding in Christ. (I wrote that really bad, I'll just leave it though). We also had this random lady last night tell us that the government is corrupt and that everyone is a spy looking for her, well, except us I guess. She told us that all the helicopters were looking for her and that it all started with her 'devil priest' of the Catholic church. We gave her a Mormon.org card for her to look up, I hope she does.

I will send the pictures. There is a movie called Straight out of Compton that is about rappers or something, well that's were I proselyte so IDK if you want to watch it or anything.

Hope the week is good.

Les Quiero tanto
Elder Roberts


No comments:

Post a Comment